Saturday, January 14, 2012

Distortion of Time

It is so hard to believe that it has been just over a week!! I feel like I have been here forever - in the best possible way. :) So much seems to have happened this week but I will try to be brief....

SUNDAY (yes... the last one): SO Sunday is our free day because the Sabbath is on Saturday here. A couple friends wanted to get together to go the Israel Museum (to complete an assignment) but we didn't actually end up going. It turns out that whenever we (meaning my roommate Emilie and I) come up with an idea, the other 81 students here decide to follow too. Well... that is what I get rooming with an engaged person who is school focused.... :) Anyway, the rest of who didn't go (due to the lack of museum passes) ended up going to the Western Wall and the Dome of the Rock instead. Right before we went there, I exchanged some American money for shekels!! Shekels are currently 3.8 to 1 American dollar, which is actually pretty good, but it is so weird to think in shekel prices.
WESTERN WALL: This was one of the most beautiful sights I think I have seen so far. Not so much the wall itself but what was going on at the wall. This wall is the closest Jews can get to the Temple Mount - they believe it is where Solomon's Temple once stood and therefor the Holy of Holies. So Jews come to place prayers into the wall and to just touch it. It was so beautiful to see the faith and tradition of these people, some of whom cried to have the opportunity to be there. I just personally thought this was a wonderful experience to not only see but be part of.
DOME OF THE ROCK: The Dome of the Rock was a unique and fantastic experience. I can't even begin to explain the beauty of the architecture and the people surrounding it. There was a special kind of respect that the grounds represented.

MONDAY: I went on a field trip on Monday which gave an overlook of Jerusalem. It was amazing! We got a better look at all of Jerusalem from all points and even looked down into Bethlehem. I'll send you some pictures once I get a plug for my computer. In the distance you can see the mountains of Jordan called the Kings Highway ( I think...) My favorite part of the day was actually at the Augusta Victoria - which is a Lutheran Church that claims the location of Christ's Ascension into heaven on the Mount of Olives. There is a tower (224 stairs up by the way) that over sees the entire valley. After looking over Jerusalem, we sang in the chapel. It was AWESOME! The Spirit just flooded into the building and it sounded absolutely beautiful - the sound echoed like a bathroom which is a natural amplifier for singing.

The rest of the week has been cold and rainy so I didn't actually go out much. It is so weird to think of Jerusalem being cold (as in the 40's). I personally always imagined it being warm, all the time, when I read the bible. Thursday I bought a falafel in the city!! It is basically fried chick peas in a pita stuffed with tomatoes, sauce, spice, and ... fries. :)

That sums up the week... sort of. :) There is SO much more I could honestly say but I will have to squeeze it in later. Thank you so much for reading and leaving comments - I really appreciate it so much.

Monday I will be heading to JERICHO!!!!!!!

Love to all!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment